today i did another boat trip on the zürich lake, after getting up pretty early. it was really nice, as the weather was great (the sun was burning, but not too bad), and it was pretty empty. i got one of the seats in the very front of the boat. listening to great music (unholy‘s really great for that, as is vintersorg’s a cosmic genesis). here are some impressions:
posts about rapture.
after making a best of concerts list for this year, i decided to make a best of albums list for all albums i have bought until now. i divided this up into several categories:
- punk/punk rock;
- trip hop, alt rock;
- other non-metal;
- metal: atmospheric;
- metal: death/black;
- metal: doom;
- metal: extreme prog;
- metal: folk/pagan/viking;
- metal: gothic;
- metal: power;
- metal: prog;
- metal: other.
note that this list reflects a snapshot of my current interest and remembrance of most of the albums. it could already be different in a few days. but feel free to comment or discuss this with me.
- porcupine tree: deadwing.
- pure reason revolution: the dark third.
- frost: milliontown.
- opeth: damnation.
- porcupine tree: the sky moves sideways.
- die ärzte: die bestie in menschengestalt.
- wizo: uuaarrgh!.
- die toten hosen: kauf mich!.
- die ärzte: planet punk.
- die ärzte: 13.
trip hop, alt rock.
- kari rueslåtten: other people’s stories.
- radiohead: ok computer.
- portishead: portishead.
- kari rueslåtten: spindelsinn.
- nine inch nails: the downward spiral.
- eläkeläiset: humppasirkus.
- bohren & der club of gore: black earth.
- the 3rd and the mortal: tears laid in earth.
- finntroll: visor om slutet.
- tool: 10 000 days.
- anathema: a natural disaster.
note that i took out the prog death/prog black (avantgarde) albums into its own category, called metal: extreme prog.
- bolt thrower: those once loyal.
- moonspell: the antidote.
- wintersun: wintersun.
- amorphis: elipse.
- childen of bodom: hatebreeder.
i think this is the category where i could have made the longest list. there are many really good albums missing, for example down and love and death by sentenced, the other swallow the sun albums, sunn o))) and boris‘ altar, some candlemass albums, unholy‘s the second ring of power, and some more.
- sentenced: frozen
- swallow the sun: ghosts of loss.
- type o negative: world coming down.
- tiamat: prey.
- unholy: rapture.
metal: extreme prog.
this category is dominated by opeth; therefore, i decided to list the top seven instead of the top five.
- opeth: still life.
- orphaned land: mabool — the story of the three sons of seven.
- opeth: blackwater park.
- distorted: memorial.
- opeth: orchid.
- borknagar: epic.
- edge of sanity: crimson (part one).
- moonsorrow: viides luku: hävitetty.
- moonsorrow: verisäkeet.
- primordial: to the nameless dead.
- finntroll: jaktens tid.
- moonsorrow: voimasta ja kunniasta.
- lacuna coil: karma code.
- tristania: beyond the veil.
- lake of tears: a crimson cosmos.
- poisonblack: lust stained despair.
- nevermore: dead heart in a dead world.
- nevermore: dreaming neon black.
- symphony x: paradise lost.
- communic: waves of visual decay.
- nightwish: oceanborn.
- dream theater: train of thought.
- the gathering: mandylion.
- ayreon: the human equation.
- dream theater: metropolis pt. 2 — scenes from a memory.
- dream theater: images and words.
- timo rautiainen & trio niskalaukaus: hartes land.
- rage: lingua mortis.
- samael: solar soul.
- annihilator: king of the kill.
- apocalyptica: cult.